Butterfly Box Lid Pattern (PDF)
Butterfly Box Pattern (PDF)
||This project features notes or instructions in Adobe Reader format. If you
do not have Adobe Reader, download it for free here.
1. Transfer or photocopy box and lid patterns onto watercolor paper or cardstock.
2. Using a black crayon, outline butterfly and fold lines on box lid with heavy black lines. Draw black checks around box lid sides. The wax in the crayons will keep the watercolors from bleeding into each other.
3. Using clear water, paint the inside designs of wings on box lid and each white check between black checks on box sides. Load your paintbrush with a generous amount of yellow watercolor. Paint outer edges of wing designs yellow. Paint the top of each check
yellow. Load your paintbrush with a generous amount of orange watercolor. Paint the inner edges of wing designs orange, allowing the yellow and orange paint colors to ‘bleed’ into each other. Paint the bottom of each check orange, allowing paint colors to bleed together. Allow box lid to dry while moving on to next step.
4. Paint box base with clear water. Load your paintbrush with a generous amount of blue watercolor. Paint areas on box base blue, leaving some white areas. Load your paintbrush with purple watercolor. Paint white spaces purple, allowing the two paint colors to bleed together. Let box base dry. Paint box lid, around butterfly the same way using blue and purple watercolors.
5. When the box lid has dried, paint clear water on each butterfly outer wing. Paint each outer wing pale pink-plum. (To make pale pink-plum, mix water with red watercolor, then add a tiny dot of blue or purple.) Allow watercolors to dry.
6. Cut out box lid and box base with scissors. Align a ruler on box fold lines. Run a stylus over each fold line to score. Fold each scored line. Glue tabs with rubber cement. Assemble box.